Subtitle(additional material): Spirit vs. Soul, What is Death? Eschatology, and some Physical Science Cosmology Ideas
Author: Randall Hoogerhyde
All Bible reference quotes herein are from the New King James Version (NKJV) Bible
It is my primary concern and goal of this blog(book) to be understanding of the different views that the reader may have on my Bible interpretation. For interpretation that differs from the reader’s, please remember that we all just want to know truth, and that truth is God’s truth(God’s Word), not ours(not man’s). Regarding the Bible, we all have different backgrounds and different interpretations, or different religions. When I say, different religions, it infers that I have a religion, but true Christianity is a faith, not a religion. Christianity is a faith, faith alone in Jesus alone(His Word), the Bible, nothing more, not a religion of rituals—In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. John 1:1,2—“And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14—the Bible is living, the living Word of God—“For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12.
Regarding science, this book defers to a literal interpretation of the Bible as truth that science must conform to. If there is no reconciliation, then it is science that must change. Rather than this inhibiting science by just inserting God and His supernatural power, the Bible can advance science in a way not likely possible without the Bible as a guide, and ruler to conform to to get unthinkable or heretical ideas from. Now, secular science may scoff at a literal interpretation of fantastic or seemingly impossible things in the Bible as being heretical to science, but heresy is often how advances are made. I am thinking of the literal interpretation of the Genesis creation in 6 24-hour days, within a young fully formed universe origin and a young 6000 year old earth created supernaturally and naturally by Jesus stretching out His arms saying, “let there be light”; rather, than a primordial Big Bang exploding from a point of energy and naturalistically evolving over billions of years into the universe and earth world we have today, where the supernatural may simply be natural science that we do not understand. This is God.
Following are the Bible’s Judeo-Christian grace, and salvation equations (note: the dispensation by dispensation full set of these equations for all of human history since Adam and Eve is more complex than just the Judaism and Christianity division shown here, but knowing and understanding all that, is not necessary for the basics for you to know today for your own salvation, but for the Bible’s dispensation by dispensation full set of salvation equations for all of human history since Adam and Eve, see post(chapter): 65. Rightly Dividing—God’s Dispensational Changes in the Way He Handles Man—for Us Today—Christians are Not Spiritual Israel—1 Israel not 3):
the Bible’s grace equation:
God’s love for the world + (Jesus’ death + burial + resurrection) = grace,
the pre-Paul Judaism salvation equations:
belief in Jehovah = faith,
Mosaic Law = law,
(faith + law)grace + know-nothing sleep death + burial + resurrection + judgement + eternal life = salvation, in paradise, the eternal new earth,
(per, II Timothy 2:15)
note: Jesus is = Jehovah
Paul’s Christianity salvation equations for us today:
belief in grace = faith,
(faith + nothing)grace + ((know-nothing sleep death + burial + resurrection) | rapture) + reward + eternal life = salvation in heaven, the heaven revealed to Paul;
the Bible’s death corollary:
(unbelief)grace + know-nothing sleep death + burial + resurrection + judgement + second death = eternal know-nothing sleep death separation from God of your smoldering dead body in the lake of fire, where your spirit has gone back to God who gave it, this is the reverse of when you were conceived at fertilization, not eternal torment; note: when there is no spirit united with a body, there is no soul(no being) to be aware and tormented, and no where in the Bible does is say a non-believer receives an eternal body, eternal torment is a made up doctrine, it is the devil’s lie and has been since Adam and Eve when the Serpent, Satan said you will not surely die, but you do die and die eternally after judgment at the second death if you do not believe in Jesus before you die in this life today; if you believe in Jesus as your personal Savior, you receive an eternal body(eternal soul) at the resurrection/rapture when your changed new immortal eternal body unites with your spirit and you are again a soul(being), now in heaven(glory) with Jesus forever and ever;
About the author:
According to the Bible, we should each live a life pleasing to Christ. He created us to glorify Him. See: Proverbs 3:5,6, Proverbs 16:3, Proverbs 16:9, Isaiah 58:11
My personal addition to this, is my self made guiding principle and motto: first and foremost, I want people to feel good about themselves; second, I want people to feel good about me.
I mean that motto sincerely, not just to make myself feel good or look good, it’s about putting others first—Jesus, others, and you.
Two other little mottos of mine are:
(1) I would rather make an error of commission than an error of omission; (2) if you can do something now, do it.
If there is anyone in my life I ever offended or made feel ill toward me, it was not my intent. There is no one I can think of that I intended to offend or make feel bad, or make feel ill toward me. Since my stroke, this happening has especially been a concern of mine. I lost much of the right side of my brain. Now I am paralyzed on the left side of my body. Fortunately I can think, remember, and speak fine. My doctor said I lost my filter.
I am blessed with a wonderful family, that I love very much, who have helped me get through my stroke, and friends who have helped me, and mean a lot to me, especially since having my stroke. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart, especially my family, thank you.
After having a stroke on July 8, 2013, and after my friend Chuck got me started on the Bible to go with all the math and science I had studied over the years. My mother, via. phone call questions and answers, took over for Chuck to get me back up to speed on my upbringing Bible study doctrine. This started during Chuck’s once a week Tuesday 5:30pm visits for the first couple years after my stroke, including after I came home from rehab. To keep my mind active, and to provide rationale for believing the Bible is God’s true Word, including a literal interpretation of it, especially the Genesis creation, and God’s promise to Abraham and David to make Israel a great nation. After my brother, Steve suggested I create a blog, I created a blog on science and the Bible, which became this blog(book), I AM or the Myth of Evolution, and Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth—1 Israel Not 3; working on this is my new hobby. Chuck befriended me almost out of nowhere, and he just happens to attend a church of my upbringing doctrine. This had to be the hand of God, bringing Chuck into my life at that time, and for that reason. Chuck truly was like an angel. He was just suddenly there and befriended me out of nowhere in the locker room at the pool where we each swam laps in the morning before work. Chuck and I then met for lunch a couple times and became friends. My mother is who I have to thank for refreshing me on my upbringing Bible study doctrine herein, and for putting me onto Les Feldick, a gifted non-denominational Bible explainer. Before my stroke I read math and science books, played golf on a golf league, played tennis with a former coworker, become friend; hiked and biked, lifted weights at the gym, jogged, swam laps in a pool at the gym, maintained our house and premisses, went to movies; now, I have strength in my weakness, mostly in my wheelchair, or in bed—“And He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” II Corinthians 12:9—my strength now is through my reawakened awareness of the Lord and His Word. The Lord gently put His loving hand on my shoulder and physically but gently told me, “Randy, time for a change,” and I had a stroke. Now I know the Bible and my upbringing Bible study Christian doctrine better than ever, and I have a better relationship with my youngest son. In this way, as hard as it is, my stroke, and the physically healthy time before my stroke, which, along with my family and friends, now by the hand of the Lord, carry me through. This along with my career, and the house we have, are all a blessing. Since I was a young boy, and accepted Jesus as my personal Savior late one night with my cabin counselor, Dick Ely at Grace Youth Camp(now, Grace Adventures), (I am now 63 years old) all these years later the Lord has kept His Word in spades.
Here is an overview of my math and science background, and my computer software career that suddenly ended when I had my stroke; I have been trained in mathematics and computer science. After college, much of the first part of my career was in developing CAD computer software, as a programmer and project manager, which all fit to a T with my interest and my college training. Then I moved on to web programming and database access. During this time, my hobby was reading math and science books, playing golf on a golf league, working out in the morning before work, and hiking on the weekends, then I started biking, and the Lord put His hand on my shoulder and said, “now it’s time,” and at 57 and 1/2 years old, I suddenly had a stroke. As bad as that was and now is, the Lord took something terrible and turned it into something good—that’s how I look at it. II Corinthians 12:7-10
I went through losing my job many times, more times than I care to remember. The worst part is that first moment in the morning when you wake up and remember you don’t have a job! It’s a horrible feeling! I think probably as bad as the death of a loved one. Maybe even worse because it’s your responsibility, and you know you have to support your family and pay the bills, and you don’t know when or where you will be able to get another job. I went through this over and over again. I always somehow found my next job and things worked out in time with no problem. I should have cast this burden on Jesus to ease my mind, knowing He would help me, but it never crossed my mind. As I now look back, seeing each next job fall one by one neatly in place, I can see He was always there helping me, even though I didn’t know it. He always has been since I was a boy, when I accepted Him as my personal Savior. Jesus keeps His word to never leave you nor forsake you: Deuteronomy 31:6, Hebrews 13:5, Psalms 139:8.
My Bible interpretation is based on my family and church upbringing Bible study. My doctrine is: Christian Protestant, Evangelical, dispensational premillennialism. As a further refinement to that: I do not believe in water baptism, nor bread and wine communion; you are baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ when you accept Jesus as your personal Savior with your heart, and acknowledge it in prayer with your mouth to Jesus and yourself, see Romans 10:9,10, and Ephesians 2:8,9; bread and wine communion is a religious ritual; it is a throwback to the Jewish Passover celebration, in this way, it is not for us today in the church age—this is the way I look at it to keep my Christianity pure faith so my Christianity is not a religion of rituals of any kind, it’s a faith not a religion.
In addition to science, I am now interested in creation vs. evolution, and Bible interpretation.
My Christian denomination hierarchy:
– Evangelical fundamentalist;
– Dispensational premillennialist—rightly dividing the Bible between Judaism(law) and Christianity(grace);
– Grace Movement, Berean church—the church my family and I went to when I was a boy;
– Fellowship Bible Church—where my uncle Gary, an ordained Reverend, was Pastor, and where my parents met; it and the Bible are the source of my Christian(Bible) doctrine.
My Christian Bible doctrine highlights:
– salvation by grace through faith alone, in Jesus alone (faith + nothing);
– water baptism and bread and wine communion are not necessary for salvation; you are baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ when you accept Jesus as your personal Savior, see Romans 10:9,10, Ephesians 2:8,9, Galatians 2:16, and Isaiah 64:6, baptism was instituted by John the Baptist as a way to show your faith, not to cleanse sin, even Jesus was baptized, and He was sin free, communion is a throwback to the last supper and the Jewish Passover celebration, it is a religious ritual—that is my strict, faith-alone interpretation of it;
– individual and group Bible study, rather than a given catechism, rightly dividing the Bible between Judaism(law) and Christianity(grace), rather than reading the Bible like a salad bowl and mixing it all up together;
– belief in: the sudden, surprising, and awesome resurrection/rapture of the body of Christ (the church which is His body) to heaven, which could be imminent, and the subsequent 7 year tribulation on earth, ended by the second coming of Jesus on the Mount of Olives; the final resurrection of all the unsaved non-believers and pre-Paul Jews, and the 1000 year millennial Kingdom on earth for the nation of Israel Jews and Gentiles grafted in before Paul, and possibly believers at the great white throne judgement; though, there probably will not be a second chance to believe at the great white throne judgement to receive eternal life in the eternal new earth ie. Paradise (when you die, your name is either written in the book of life, or it’s not, based on wether you accepted Jesus as your personal Savior with your heart and acknowledged it with your mouth before you died, see Romans 10:9,10); rather, than judgment and the second death as eternal smoldering dead body know-nothing sleep separation from God in the lake of fire, a second chance to avoid this judgement and second death is certainly not something to count on. The judgement is a judgment of the way you lived your life, before receiving the second death of eternal know-nothing death(sleep)—where your dead body is cast into the lake of fire and your spirit goes back to God who gave it, but without a body there is no soul(no being), no eternal life, only eternal death(sleep) separation from God;
– belief in the literal 6 24-hour day creation, as recorded in the book of Genesis;
– neither water baptism nor communion are appropriate today in the church age(dispensation) of grace(the mystery); rather, you are baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ when you accept Jesus as your personal Savior; water baptism is a religious ritual that was instituted by John the Baptist as a way to show your faith, not to cleanse sin, baptism for cleansing sin is contrary to grace through faith alone in Jesus alone; communion is a throwback to Judaism and the Passover, my further thought on this, is: we were not there to witness or be directly told about Jesus and His crucifixion, so we can not have a mental image to remember in remembrance communion, which is a religious ritual that is unnecessary and contrary to grace through faith alone in Jesus alone, the communion throwback to Judaism and the Passover celebration, and baptism, dilute the grace message of salvation by grace through faith alone, and ruin the simplicity of the Christianity salvation equation: grace(faith + nothing) = salvation, Ephesians 2:8,9; “eat my flesh and drink my blood” in John chapter 6 means believing vin Jesus and reading/studying the Bible for Spiritual nourishment, not communion, see John 1:1,2 together with John 1:14, where Jesus ‘is’ the Word(the Bible); eternal torment of unsaved non-believers is not fair and unsaved non-believers do not receive an eternal body to be a soul(being) to be eternally tormented, it is the devil’s lie (the story about the rich man and Lazarus is an allegory); body(dust) + spirit(breath) = soul(being), ie. you don’t have a soul; rather, you are a soul; hell, Sheol, Hades, death, and grave are all synonymous, not a place of torment. When you die, you do not immediately go to heaven, or any other place, your body goes to the grave to wait in know-nothing death(sleep) until the resurrection of your body(dust) when it reunites with your spirit(breath) and you are again a living soul(being) in the meantime your spirit(breath) has gone back to God Who gave it, and you have no sense of time, so to you, the person who died, it will seem like you are immediately in heaven, or at the great white throne judgment. It just makes people feel good to think of it the same way it will seem to the person who died. Your spirit is your breath of life and nothing more until it is supernaturally united with your body, at: creation as in Adam and Eve, at birth(fertilization/conception), or at resurrection to be a soul(being), where the supernatural is God, something we do not understand.
Favorite verse, as a verse pair: Ephesians 2:8,9
FaceBook: creation vs. evolution, follow Ken Ham;
YouTube: dispensationalism, John MacArthur;
Web and TV: lesfeldick.com, lesfeldick.org;
Twitter: follow @lesfeldick, @lesfeldickbible, @lesfeldickdaily;
Any comments or questions are welcomed.